Help shape Clarington’s Strategic Plan
Clarington’s Strategic Plan is an essential planning tool that enables the Municipality and the community to work together to shape a common vision. The plan outlines the specific actions and goals that Council will work to implement during their four-year term of Council. It also helps direct strategic decision-making and provides a way to measure progress toward the community’s collective vision.
Have your say on the Draft Strategic Plan
The Municipality received close to 800 responses to the community survey that ran in February and March 2023. Using that input, as well as feedback from Council and community partners, we have developed a more detailed draft Plan.
This survey will collect feedback on the draft plan to ensure it reflects the community's aspirations and priorities for Clarington.
At the end of the survey, you will have the option to provide your email address to be entered into a draw to win one of the following three prizes:
- One Apple iPad (10th Generation)
- One-year Clarington Fitness Membership
- One Fire Station Tour that includes a meet and greet with the Fire Chief, as well as some fire safety goodies
The odds of winning a prize are determined by the number of eligible entries.
The survey closes on September 30, 2023.
Your input is essential to ensure we get this right!
Public Engagement Sessions
Join us throughout September as we host in-person and online public engagement sessions across the municipality. Review the Draft Plan, provide input, and help make sure it reflects the priorities of our community.
Newcastle: September 20, at 11:30 a.m. (In-person)
Diane Hamre Recreation Complex
Bowmanville: September 21, at 6 p.m. (Online and In-Person)
Municipal Administrative Centre, Council Chambers
Join the meeting online: www.clarington.net/stratplanmeeting
Orono: September 26, at 7:30 p.m. (In-person)
Orono Town Hall
Courtice: September 28, at 6:30 p.m. (In-person)
South Courtice Arena
For questions about the Draft Plan or engagement sessions, please call 905-623-3379 ext. 2017 or email email@example.com.
Draft Strategic Plan
The draft Strategic Plan was created with input from residents and Clarington Council to ensure it reflects the priorities of the community. We need your input to ensure we got it right!
- View the Draft Strategic Plan (PDF) or explore the themes below.
Planning for the Future
We are committed to creating a resilient and connected community that prioritizes the importance of our environment.
Strategic Priority 1: Support responsible growth and development.
- Plan for growth through the completion of our Official Plan and Comprehensive Zoning By-Law review.
- Complete 12 Secondary Plans and corresponding Fiscal Impact Analysis.
- Proactively communicate with residents about the planning process and how we are responsibly addressing growth.
- Update our Transportation Master Plan and Active Transportation Master Plan to ensure both traffic and livability/walkability considerations are proactively managed.
- Enhance our lakefront through the completion of the Clarington Waterfront Strategy.
- Update our telecommunications policy with a focus on increasing cellular connectivity across the community.
- Advocate for increased public transit options (GO Train expansion, Durham Region Transit service offerings).
Strategic Priority 2: Promote a diverse mix of housing options.
- Develop a plan to increase the number of affordable housing units in our community, in collaboration with other levels of government and development partners.
- Complete the design of our Non-profit Affordable Housing fund.
Strategic Priority 3: Protect our environment.
- Implement Priority Green development standards as part of the development review application process.
- Continue implementing actions within the Clarington Corporate Climate Action Plan (CCCAP) and communicate progress.
- Protect and enhance our natural heritage.
We are committed to ensuring that our programs and services are designed and delivered from the customer’s perspective, where residents and businesses see value.
Strategic Priority 1: Engage and inform our community.
- Complete a review of the communications function with a focus on community engagement.
- Proactively communicate with residents and businesses.
- Undertake actions to ensure we are connecting with all segments of the population (inclusive of new residents and those who are non-native English speakers).
Strategic Priority 2: Offer customer-centric programs and services.
- Develop and implement corporate customer service standards that can be reported on to the community.
- Leverage technology and process improvement to enhance the customer experience.
- Design and implement a service delivery continuity plan.
Strategic Priority 3: Demonstrate the effective and efficient use of municipal funds.
- Develop and implement a multi-year budget to provide a long-range view of finances.
- Advance construction of a new public works facility, inclusive of a Fire Headquarters and Service Excellence Training Center.
- Conduct a review of Emergency and Fire Services.
- Review and optimize winter snow-clearing routes.
- Report on continuous improvement initiatives.
- Invest in our workforce to ensure we attract highly skilled and engaged staff.
- Actively undertake opportunities to ensure our workforce is diverse and reflective of our community.
- Advocate for grant funding from the Federal and Provincial levels of government and other partners.
Vibrant and Inclusive Community
We are committed to building a strong, thriving and safe community, where everyone is welcome.
Strategic Priority 1: Prioritize arts, culture and recreation.
- Develop a Parks, Recreation, and Culture Master Plan to strategically plan and responsibly manage the provision of parks, recreation and cultural services for our residents.
- Begin construction on a multi-use recreation facility.
- Determine the future of the Camp 30 lands, in consultation with the Jury Lands Foundation.
- Consider the creation of a community park on the Bowmanville Zoo Lands.
- Decide on an ice-skating amenity location(s) and advance to construction.
- Develop a long-term vision for our historic downtowns.
- Explore a potential location for a concert venue.
Strategic Priority 2: Embrace a diverse, equitable, and safe community.
- Implement actions to reduce barriers to services within the Municipality.
- Develop a traffic calming plan to address neighbourhood speeding and parking concerns, inclusive of proactive public engagement and education efforts.
- Collaborate with Durham Regional Police Services - Community Safety Advisory Council to support the proactive management of community safety matters.
- Support the development and implementation of the Community Safety and Well-Being Plan (facilitated by Region of Durham).
- Complete an Indigenous Consultation strategy and continue to implement actions to address the Truth and Reconciliation Calls to Action.
- Implement an arterial road sidewalk snow-clearing program.
- Advocate for construction to begin on the Bowmanville Hospital Expansion and Clarington Hospice.
Strategic Priority 3: Seize economic development opportunities.
- Implement the Clarington Economic Development Strategy.
- Increase the amount of serviced land available to expand our commercial and industrial tax base.
- Ensure active involvement in key catalyst projects (e.g., Small Modular Reactor development and associated nuclear/energy opportunities).
- Develop a concierge program to support business attraction efforts.
- Establish a small business incubator.